Lim Peh Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LIM PEH FORUM - a forum for Singapore's family men

You are not connected. Please login or register

under-appreciated, over-demanded

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1under-appreciated, over-demanded Empty under-appreciated, over-demanded Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:52 am

TuffDaddy

TuffDaddy
Admin

do you guys feel like this at home?

for instance, my wife works and so do i. now that we don't have a maid anymore, i try my best to fit in housework in my schedule. besides housework is nothing new to me. just that this means i have to wake up earlier and spend less time playing my computer game.

but it's all good. no complains.

i understand and appreciate what my wife does for our baby and family, but it seems it's a one-way street sometimes.

sometimes she'd say things like, "i do ALL the work" and that hurts my feelings.

on a typical work day, i especially wake up before she does to do the dishes, scoop the cats' litterbox, fill up the cat dish, wash and sterilize baby's bottles, sweep the floor (too early to make noise with the vacuum), etc because my common sense tells me i want her to wake up with less things to do.

my common sense also tells me that i WANT to be involved in raising this family and i WANT to share the load. raising this family is not just about the baby. if it was, life would be so much easier but things around us need to be done too. they don't get done on their own.

then there are times when i feel she refuses to understand and accept my limitations as a working father. i'm on 12 hour irregular shifts, sometimes stretching to 14hrs. i tell her i'd mop the house every four days when i have a full day off and would be well-rested, but that's not enough for her.

my work can be pretty physical, hence being a mere human, i do get exhausted and my back and muscles ache a lot too; so i feel really disappointed when she demands things like, "this house needs to be mopped EVERY day".

ya, she says she appreciates what i do but when things such as the above happens, i feel they're just words coming out of her mouth. and when i bring that up, she'd say, "sometimes when i'm busy with so many things i don't think before i talk, so just take a step back and don't take me seriously".

guys, from your point of view, if this were to happen to you, how'd you feel?

i just wish she'd just accept things as they are. that i've the common sense to do more when i can and less when i really cannot. i understand she's not a full time nanny, but i hope she also understands that i'm not a full time maid.

i'm not the world's number one dad in her books, but i don't think i'm in the bottom 30% of the world's worst dads too. i really feel down about this. pale

http://limpehforum.friendhood.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum